Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ethiopian Honey Bread

I made this bread the other day and it was amazing! Our friends, A & S, say that the typical Ethiopian Honey Bread is a little denser, has more spices, and no milk or eggs. However, they said it was very close and tasted even better than what they have made or had before. So, I am gonna stick with my recipe!

Ethiopian Honey Bread
Ingredients
1 Tbsp active dry yeast -1 packet
1/4 C warm water
3Tbsp egg white
1/3 C honey ( I used whipped honey b/c it is what I had on hand and it was so good I will keep using it!)
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp sea salt
1 C warm milk ( I used 1%)
6 Tbsp melted light margarine
5 C white whole wheat flour (I just used regular all purpose flour)

Directions
In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Let stand 3 min. then stir to dissolve.

Set in a warm place 5 min, should double in volume. If it doesn't, repeat procedure (mine sat for about 10 min).

Combine egg whites, honey, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a deep bowl, mixing until smooth.

Add yeast mixture, milk, and 5 Tbsp melted margarine. Beat until well blended (I just mixed w/a spoon). Stir in 4 -4 1/2 c flour (1/2 c at a time), until it is too stiff to stir. (You may not need all of the flour- I didn't).

On a lightly floured surface, knead daugh. Add remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Knead about 5 min.

Place in a large, greased bowl. Cover w/a damp cloth and let sit in warm place for 90 min.

Grease baking sheet w/ 1 Tbsp margerine (I used shortening).

Punch down dough and knead again for 3 min.

Shape into a round (I braided mine), and place on baking sheet.

Preheat oven to 325.

Let dough rise 10 min while oven preheats.

Bake 1 hour until top is crusty and light golden brown.

No comments: